Starting with the version 3.0.0, Pixelitor requires Java 8. (Pixelitor 2.3.0 was the last version that ran on Java 7 and Pixelitor 1.1.2 was the last version for Java 6 - if for some reason you can have only old Java versions, check out these versions) The download does not contain the Java Runtime Environment.
- Java: You can check if you have Java 8, and download/upgrade it if necessary here.
Just run the setup program. It is not necessary to uninstall first a previous version. If you
decide to run the uninstaller, your user settings will be also removed. If you have a 64-bit
system with 64-bit Java, Pixelitor will run as a 64-bit app even if the installer and the
launcher are 32-bit.
Alternatively you can also download the jar file and double-click on that to start the program.
(Less user-friendly, but it does not require administrator privileges, and it can be used as a
- Java: You might need to install the newest Java from here.
- Pixelitor: You can simply double-click on the downloaded jar file to start the program.
- Java: You can use the OpenJDK which comes with many Linux distributions or you can download the Oracle
Java from here (Some OpenJDK-8 versions have problems with reading JPEG files. Make sure you have at least version 8u40-b27-1 or use the Oracle Java)
- Pixelitor: Run it as a Java program according to your distribution guidelines (the command line java
-jar always works).